The following are highlights from the latest online Q&A from the official website of WWE Hall Of Famer Jim Ross:
On whether Backlash or Extreme Rules is a better follow-up to WrestleMania: “It all depends on the attractions….the talents invovled.”
On if anyone can match Shawn Michaels in his prime: “NXT will continue to make major contributions to the WWE primary roster over time. Some really good, potential stars there.”
On if RAW and SmackDown should go back to the elaborate stage set ups: “I haven’t given that much thought. Not big on my radar.”
On WWE switching talent from heel to face too often, specifically Alberto Del Rio: “Decision makes, due to the lack of main event depth, are constantly looking for the best roles for their top guys. ADR as a fan favorite was an experiment in my view but he’s a better villain.”
On which wrestling schools are the best: “Start with Lance Storm’s Academy in Calgary and take it from there.”
On if we’ll see the return of “The Stooges” Pat Patterson and Gerald Brisco in the current HHH/Vince McMahon power struggle: “Highly unlikely.”
Check out more Jim Ross Q&A online at JRsBarBQ.com.
– ECW original Lance Storm tweeted on Tuesday morning that he’ll be working at the WWE Performance Center near Orlando, Florida once again today.
– WWE.com has published a photo gallery of celebrities who have appeared at past editions of SummerSlam, including late actor Leslie Nielson, NFL Hall of Famer Walter Payton, TV hosts Arsenio Hall and Pierce Morgan, MMA legend turned TNA star Tito Ortiz and others.
– WWE supersatar Kofi Kingston returned to action on Monday’s RAW, defeating Fandango in a competitive match. Kingston spoke to WWE.com backstage at the show, saying that he’s never felt better and is ready to go. He also talked about his new ring gear, which he introduced because he wants to stay innovative and fresh.
– Steve Austin has announced that former WWE, WCW & ECW star Lance Storm will be the next guest on his Steve Austin Show podcast.
– The WWE creative team is said to be very stressed out heading into Raw tonight, according to a report at f4wonline.com. After last week’s low RAW rating (in part due to the Memorial Day holiday), there is a sense of urgency that this week’s RAW needs to do a strong rating.
Unfortunately for WWE, RAW is up against the highly anticipated Game 7 of the NBA Eastern Conference Finals tonight between the Miami Heat and the Indiana Pacers.
– A newly released Post Fruity Pebbles cereal commercial features John Cena, which you can view below. In January, it was announced that the WWE Superstar John Cena and Bamm-Bamm would replace Fred Flintstone on the front of more than 8 million Post Fruity Pebbles and Cocoa Pebbles cereal boxes as part of a promotional partnership between Post Foods and WWE.
“It’s been a lifelong dream to be on a cereal box and I’m proud to represent WWE as part of our partnership with Post,” Cena said in a statement then. “I’m looking forward to joining millions of families at their breakfast table across the country.”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-WBu4dMQ6o
– WWE Hall of Famer Tony Atlas was on hand for Sunday’s WWE live event in Augusta, Maine. Naomi tweeted this image of herself with the legendary grappler.
– Lance Storm will be appear as a guest on “Stone Cold” Steve Austin’s next Steve Austin Show podcast. The episode will be taped Tuesday. You can listen to past episodes here.
– Fans may have noticed that there was a big commotion in the crowd during the John Cena vs. Curtis Axel main event of RAW. According to a live correspondent who was in attendance, the distraction was caused by security having to physically drag drunken fan away from the ringside area.
– Several of WWE’s recent signings have been told they need to report to the Orlando area by early July, home of WWE’s new Performance Center.
– WWE Hall of Famer Mick Foley’s first headlining comedy show at Caroline’s in NYC on June 2nd is almost sold out. For tickets, visit Carolines.com.
– ECW original Lance Storm among the former WWE superstars who attended Monday’s RAW for Bret Hart Appreciation Night.
– NXT trainer Bill DeMott noted on Twitter that former WWE Diva Eve Torres was at NXT working with the developmental Divas earlier this week.
– ECW original Lance Storm has published a new blog at StormWrestling.com talking about his recent visit to WWE developmental:
“Many people have asked how the guest training gig came about and there really isn’t that much too it. I keep in touch with many people within WWE, and maintain a good relationship with the company. I was once the head trainer for their developmental program when it was based in OVW, I have a few SWA grads in their developmental program, so it just seemed like a natural fit, so when the opportunity came I jumped at it. It was a chance for me to pass on a bit of my knowledge to the newest batch of developmental talent as well as keep abreast of how WWE is doing things and what they are looking for in future talent. It is a win win situation if there ever was one.”
…
The training itself kept me extremely busy; NXT is a big operation with a lot of bodies, so I was doing 8am to 5pm training days. Talent doesn’t train that many hours a day but with rotating classes trainers log a lot of hours. NXT has several trainers but unfortunately not all of them were there for my week. I missed out on catching up with Norman Smiley, Sara Del Rey, and Terry Taylor, but did spend a lot of time with Bill DeMott, Joey Mercury, and Ricky Steamboat. Bill and I have been friends since our WCW days (2000) and the relationship we formed during our time together there will no doubt last forever. Joey and I go back to my time teaching in OVW (2004), where he was but a pupil and seeing him now as the teacher and continuing to pass on the art of our business to the next generation was very rewarding. I didn’t really know Mr. Steamboat that well at the start of the week, having only met him on 2 brief occasions, but working alongside him was certainly a highlight of the trip. I thought we complimented each other well, with his experience and knowledge and my in ring hands on approach, talent no doubt picked up a lot, I know I did. If you spend a week with a HOF’er like Ricky Steamboat and don’t learn something you’re really not paying attention.
– As recently as last week, WWE creative was forwarding storylines with the idea that CM Punk will be featured in the closing match of WrestleMania 29.
– Promoting his World Heavyweight Championship Match against Sheamus this Sunday at Survivor Series, the official WWE website has published an article chronicling Big Show’s seven greatest moments. WWE states
“Sheamus is hungry to reclaim the World Heavyweight Championship from Big Show’s colossal clutches at Survivor Series, but given Show’s formidable history, he’d be wise not to underestimate the giant a second time. Here are seven reminders of why Big Show won the “Big Gold Title” to begin with … and why he may still have it when all is said and done on Sunday.”
Feats listed are becoming the youngest WCW World Heavyweight Champion in history at 23-years-old, his 1999 WWE debut, becoming WWE Champion for the first time, capturing the ECW World Heavyweight Championship, successfully defending the Unified Tag Team Championship against R-Truth and John Morrison at WrestleMania XXVI, winning the Intercontinental Championship at WrestleMania XXVIII, and defeating Sheamus for the World Heavyweight Championship at Hell in a Cell.
– Former WWE Superstar Lance Storm appeared on Over the Top Radio to discuss a number of wrestling topics. Listen below:
– To put a rumor to rest, Edge is not under contract to WWE in any matter—not even a “Legends” deal. He is only scheduled to appear for House of Hardcore’s debut event on Saturday, October 6 in Poughkeepsie, New York (information), and the following day in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (at Dave and Busters restaurant located at 325 North Columbus Boulevard) for an autograph signing with Tommy Dreamer. According to PWInsider.com, the WWE Hall of Famer is very content to sit at home and relax after retiring from the squared circle.
– Smith Hart, brother of WWE Hall of Famer Bret Hart, weighed in on Kevin Nash’s remarks dismissing Chris Benoit and Eddie Guerrero as world champions due to their relatively small stature. He tweeted:
– According to WrestlingFigs.com, former WWE Superstar Matt Hardy will appear at Body Designs 1755 Sunrise Highway Bay Shore, New York on Friday, August 17 from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m.
– Former WWE Diva Ashley Massaro has been announced to appear at her first wrestling show since 2009 for Pro Wrestling Syndicate on September 14 in Rahway, New Jersey. Also scheduled is Kevin Matthews defending the PWS title against Sami Callihan in a falls count anywhere match, Anthony Nese vs. Matt Hardy for the Tri State title; Demolition vs. Warlord and Barbarian.
– Cross-promoting World Wrestling Fan Xperience’s Champions Showcase Tour event on October 13, 2012 at the MegaSport Arena in Moscow, Russia (information available at wwfxperience.com), former WWE stars Daivari, Jillian Hall and Vladimir Kozlov presented FHM Russia’s 100 Sexiest Women In The World 2012 award to Tulisa Contostavlos. Click here for photos from the event.
– Lance Storm was asked on Twitter who he thinks should get a better push in WWE. He responded, “Tyson Kidd for starters.”
– Former WWE star Bam Neely turns 37 years old on Sunday. He is retired from wrestling and now works as a night club bouncer in Tampa, Florida.
– Vader, a two-time WCW World Heavyweight Champion, made his first WWE appearance in over six years on Raw SuperShow. “The Man They Call Vader” dispatched Heath Slater with a Vader Bomb.
– In a 2-on-1 Handicap Match on Raw SuperShow, Ryback dismantled local competitors Willard Fillmore and Rutherford “P.S.” Hayes. Both Fillmore and Hayes compete for the New England based independent promotion Chaotic Wrestling: Fillmore as “American Sasuke” Mikaze and Hayes as Scotty Slade.
– Tickets for WWE’s Night of Champions pay-per-view event on September 16, 2012 at the TD Bank Garden in Boston, Massachusetts go on sale on June 23 at 10:00 a.m. via Ticketmaster.
– Lance Storm, who recently injured his elbow, tweeted the following Monday night: “Got my elbow X ray results back, fractured bone spur. Will not keep me out, just causes pain. Now the long wait for the ortho appointment.”
— Starship-Pained.com conducted a Q&A with John Morrison on Saturday at the Motor City Comic Con. Regarding a possible return to WWE, Morrison stated, “Yes. Maybe a year or so.” The full interview is available here.
— Lance Storm, who placed No. 32 in WWE.com’s “Top 50 WCW Superstars” list, offered his thoughts on the list via Twitter:
“Don’t bother sending me the WCW Superstars list. I don’t care. Its one dude making a list, it means nothing.”
— Swagbucks issued the following statement regarding WWE’s official search engine:
“We regret to inform you that MyWWEsearch.com will be closing on June 15th. What does this mean for your current WWE Swag Bucks? Until June 15, 2012 the WWE Swag Store will remain active and we will be lowering the prices of all items in the store. After June 15th, all your WWE Swag Bucks will be redeemable at Swagbucks.com Swag Store where you can also continue to build your Swagbucks account. We are sorry for this sudden change, but will make sure that you still have the ability to earn and spend your Swag Bucks for the rewards you deserve.”
— Today marks the eleven year anniversary of the final episode of WCW Monday Nitro. The show began with Vince McMahon appearing via satellite from Gund Arena in Cleveland, Ohio, the site of that evening’s Raw is War broadcast on TNN, announcing that he had purchased World Championship Wrestling. The show ended with a simulcast on Raw with an appearance by Shane McMahon on Nitro as he interrupted his father’s gloating over the purchase to explain that he actually owned WCW.
WWE has posted several clips from the episode including Ric Flair’s emotional WCW farewell speech, Booker T vs. Scott Steiner: in a Title vs. Title Match, Shane Helms vs. Chavo Guerrero in a Cruiserweight Title Match, Sean O’Haire and Chuck Palumbo vs. Lance Storm and Mike Awesome, Shawn Stasiak vs. Bam Bam Bigelow, Vince McMahon firing Jeff Jarrett, Sting vs. Ric Flair and Shane McMahon saying he bought WCW.
— Kelly Kelly says “The Enforcer” Arn Anderson is her favorite ’80s Superstar. She says of the 2012 WWE Hall of Fame inductee to WWE Magazine in an interview, “I admire everything he accomplished in the ring. He was the greatest bad guy ever.”
She also reveals the best thing about being on the road as a WWE Diva: “Traveling with the girls. We have a lot fun getting in trouble together.”
Online reports have indicated that there are a number of disgruntled wrestlers within the WWE locker room upset with Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson stealing the spotlight at WrestleMania XXVIII since he is not a full-time performer. Former WWE talent Shane Helms (a/k/a The Hurricane) added his two cents on the matter via Twitter and said those people should quit complaining.
“FTR, anybody in the WWE locker room that is bitching about The Rock’s involvement in WrestleMania needs to stop being a douche! He’s earned it!” the former WWE Cruiserweight Champion wrote Friday. “WrestleMania has always had celebrity involvement and if the the celebrity this year happens to actually be a GREAT pro wrestler, it’s a win!!”
Fellow former WWE star Lance Storm, who earlier said Johnson’s detractors should “shut up,” added, “If the dude will draw more money, he deserves the spot. Absolutely. And he WILL draw more money, end of story.”
Johnson caught wind of their statements Saturday morning. He wrote to them: “Incredible to me how many of the boys don’t get the “business” part of our business.”
— Online reports have indicated that there are a number of disgruntled wrestlers within the WWE locker room upset with Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson stealing the spotlight at WrestleMania XXVIII. Former WWE star Lance Storm weighed in on the matter on Twitter and said the complainers need to “shut up.”
When asked about Johnson assuming the WrestleMania main event spot over a full-time worker, he wrote, “I got bumped off Mania 19 for Miller Light Girls anyone bitching about getting bumped down the card 4 THE ROCK needs to Shut up.”
— Brodus Clay, who has not competed inside a WWE ring since the February 7, 2012 SmackDown taping, returns to action at tonight’s Raw live event at the STAPLES Center in Los Angeles, California.
Clay’s dancer Cameron Lynn tweeted, “Who is gonna b at the staple center tonight to see some WWE action ? Best part is u get to see yours truly…me and the funkasaurus.”
Online reports suggest Clay was removed from television due to Vince McMahon’s unhappiness with his ring work. Regarding said reports, WWE.com writer Kevin Eck tweeted, “I have not seen the real reason reported anywhere.”
— WWE.com reports Wade Barrett suffered a partial dislocation of his left elbow during the 10-Man Battle Royal on Raw. He will undergo an MRI for further evaluation this week and will be sidelined for at least 6 to 8 weeks.
The injury occurred following Barrett and R-Truth’s elimination from the match. As Truth and Barrett recovered from their eliminations on the outside, Big Show tossed Dolph Ziggler on top of them from the ring. They were knocked backwards and Barrett landed awkwardly on his arm.
— Two former WWE stars gave Aksana a negative review for her match against Nikki and Brie Bella on Raw. Gregory Helms wrote on Twitter, “Geez, Askana is …. not good.”
Lance Storm said in response to Helms, “Understatement of the Century.”
– Wrestling Observer editor Dave Meltzer reports that Mason Ryan’s sizable push was halted weeks ago due to his inability to connect with the audience. Nonetheless, WWE creative plans on renewing his push in the near future as they feel he has great potential. The Welsh wrestler was ultimately kept off Sunday’s 30-Man Royal Rumble Match because they felt it would have done “nothing positive” for him.
Meltzer adds that Vince McMahon at least initially had an “infatuation” with Ryan, hence his fast track to the main roster last year and subsequent protection on television.
— Lance Storm stated Tuesday on Twitter that he will be attending the WWE Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony in Miami, Florida to see longtime friend Edge’s enshrinement. He added that he does not know yet if he’ll stay for WrestleMania.
— A photo of The Rock face-to-face with John Cena is featured on the cover of the latest issue of The Wrestler.
“@IAmJericho Helluva kick ass return. Welcome back my friend. Look forward to having some fun w you.”
Jericho’s longtime friend Lance Storm says he helped train Jericho in recent weeks at his Storm Wrestling Academy in Canada to prepare for his return. Storm wrote:
“Since he’s back yes @IAmJericho did come back and train with me at SWA. We spent a couple days in the ring including a 17 min match #norust”
Former WWE Champion JBL wrote:
“The @Iamjericho return to WWE? Loved it. This is going to play out well over the next couple of months. The audacity of the return is gold!”
Interim RAW General Manager John Laurinaitis said:
“We are now stalking @IAmJericho to see what all that silence was about.”
My staff and I aren’t pleased, for those of you who follow this and want the real scoop. We hope to have answers from @IAmJericho soon.