Posts Tagged ‘Lio Rush’

Report: Two NXT Stars Being Prepped For 205 Live

Two popular NXT stars may be going to 205 Live once their NXT runs are over.

Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter claims that WWE officials are looking to prep Ricochet and Lio Rush for 205 Live. Ricochet recently signed with WWE and is set for a major match at Takeover: New Orleans (more on that here). Rush hasn’t been booked to be a world beater, but the report says that higher ups are still high on the former indie standout.

205 Live has undergone a bit of a resurgence since reports surfaced claiming that Triple H has taken over the direction of the show. For months, 205 Live was seen as a lite version of Raw and SmackDown Live. The cruiserweights were involved in storylines that fans weren’t invested in. An example of this is Noam Darr’s relationship with Alicia Fox.

In recent episodes, the focus of the show has been catered more towards wrestling. WWE signed Rockstar Spud and repackaged him as Drake Maverick. He is portrayed as the 205 Live general manager. Maverick has been involved in segments where he tells the talent to get serious. Currently, the brand is in the midst of a tournament to determine a new cruiserweight champion.

Update On Lio Rush’s Status With WWE

  • Lio Rush removed WWE/NXT references from his Twitter profile
  • Rush did not work Wednesday’s NXT TV tapings, which run through late December
  • Remains under contract, per PWInsider

NXT star Lio Rush received a wave of negative attention on Twitter in late October after a tweet about Emma’s WWE release backfired spectacularly. In response to the news of Emma’s release (following two competitive matches with Asuka), Rush tweeted, “I guess these are the things that happen when you’re not TRULY ready for @WWEAsuka ??”

Rush was slammed on social media by many of his peers and later followed up with a half-hearted apology. He has not been seen on NXT TV since and his status with the company remains in question. On Wednesday night, he made several changes to his Twitter account that have some fans wondering if he’ll be returning at all.

In addition to removing all references to WWE and NXT from his Twitter bio, Lio Rush also changed his hometown from Orlando (where the WWE Performance Center is located) to Baltimore. He has since tweeted:

https://twitter.com/itsLioRush/status/936045547311501312

https://twitter.com/itsLioRush/status/936224192646787072

Despite this social media activity, Lio Rush remains under contract with WWE, according to PWInsider. It will be interesting to see how this young man’s career progresses after these recent issues.

Prior to joining WWE, the 23-year-old high flyer has wrestled for promotions such as Ring Of Honor and Combat Zone Wrestling. Lio Rush was signed to NXT back in July and was engaged in a brief feud with his former tag team partner, Velveteen Dream.

Lio Rush “Apologizes” For Tweet About Emma’s Release

NXT star Lio Rush is back peddling after an insensitive tweet following Emma’s WWE release. Shortly after WWE announced Emma’s departure, Rush tweeted,

“I guess these are the things that happen when you’re not TRULY ready for @WWEAsuka?”

The tweet was later deleted after an onslaught of negative responses from his followers and various WWE personalities.

Rush, who made his NXT debut just last month, gives a ‘sorry if you were offended’ non-apology and says he’s saddened that his tweet got ‘completely blown out of proportion.’

Rush says he respects Emma, would never mock somebody for losing their job …. and wishes her good luck on behalf of himself and WWE.

https://twitter.com/itsLioRush/status/924717038874120192

Several WWE personalities expressed their dismay with Lio’s actions.

https://twitter.com/dashwilderwwe/status/924726966942658560

https://twitter.com/GentlemanJackG/status/924721353567203334

Lio Rush Mocks Emma’s WWE Release, Gets Called Out

On Sunday morning, WWE announced that Emma, Darren Young and Summer Rae are no longer with the company.

NXT newcomer Lio Rush mocked Emma on what has to be a very tough day for her, joking that she ‘wasn’t ready for Asuka’ after losing to her twice over the past week.

https://twitter.com/itsLioRush/status/924673902223155200

Fans on Twitter are giving him strong negative feedback for the tweet, noting that he’s not really in a position to be talking trash about a veteran performer.

WWE legend Sean Waltman and NXT star Payton Royce expressed disappointment and gave him some words of advice:

https://twitter.com/therealxpac/status/924714697080934400

https://twitter.com/WWEPeytonRoyce/status/924702054412701696

Former WWE Superstar Rosa Mendes also chimed in, telling Lio Rush to have some respect and class.

WWE Announces the Signing of Lio Rush

WWE has officially announced the signing of 22-year-old wrestling prodigy Lio Rush.

“Internationally recognized as one of the ring’s top high-flyers, Rush officially joined the WWE Performance Center today in Orlando, FL.”

Rush has been considered one of the top prospects on the independent scene. He won Ring of Honor’s Top Prospect Tournament last year and won the Combat Zone Wrestling Heavyweight Championship earlier this year.

In joining the WWE Performance Center, Rush reunites with a former tag team partner, current NXT Superstar The Velveteen Dream.

Full Story: WWE.com

https://youtu.be/yzzxDupL0Nk

Ricochet Injured & Pulled from Top UK Indie Bookings, Replaced by WWE UK Champion & ROH Star

New Japan Pro Wrestling & Lucha Underground star Ricochet has been pulled from several UK independent bookings this weekend due to an undisclosed injury.

Although minor, Ricochet’s ‘nagging’ injuries have forced some shake up on one of the biggest weekends on the UK independent calendar.

Lucha Forever has announced that WWE UK Champion Tyler Bate will be replacing Ricochet for their debut ‘Dawning of Forever’ event that takes place Monday 17th April. The show will be available to view live via FloSlam, whether Bate will be shown on the live stream is unknown however with his WWE ties it seems extremely unlikely.

Over The Top announced that the planned 6-man tag match pitting Kenny Omega & The Young Bucks against The Uptown Funkers (Ryan Smile & Will Ospreay) will now see Ring of Honor star Lio Rush take Ricochet’s place.

Revolution Pro has also announced that Lio Rush will be replacing Ricochet. The team of Rush, Ryan Smile & Shane Strickland will face Kenny Omega & The Young Bucks at this Thursday’s Epic Encounter event in the world famous York Hall in Bethnal Green.

https://twitter.com/itsLioRush/status/850679169088401409

https://twitter.com/LuchaForeverUK/status/850669224683065344